5th Grade Information
- Remind messages for 5th Grade: Text @cesfifth to 81010
- Email us!
- School phone: 336-2232
- A good, old fashioned note is always welcome as well!
- SportsFest- Friday, Sept. 27th
- Fall Break- Week of Oct. 7th
- Student-Led Conferences- Thursday, Oct. 24th
- Thanksgiving Break- Week of Nov. 18th
- Holiday Parties- Friday, Dec. 2oth
- Winter Break- Dec. 21st – Jan. 7th
- Spring Break- Week of March 9th
- Easter Break- Friday, April 10th – Monday, April 13th
- Last Full Day of School- Friday, May 22nd
- Preparing for Ocoee Middle School. Please do not clean it out for them- we are teaching them to manage it for themselves.
- Pocket divider for each subject (please get some if your child does not have any)
- Newsletter stays in front of binder
- Special spot for homework & papers to go home
- All graded papers come home on Tuesdays (“Take Home Tuesday”) plus other papers & announcements
- Nine weeks
- Progress reports come home at 5th week
- “Take Home Tuesday”
- All graded papers come home
- Papers from the office, clubs, etc.
- Grades Below 85 if there are any
- Done to communicate & make a plan for improvement
- Please sign and return
- Your child owes playtime if this is not returned by Thursday
Leaders for Life
- Leadership Principles
- Mission Statement
- Leadership Roles: Safety Patrol, Choir, Fine Arts, Basketball, Cheerleading, Class Jobs
- Leadership Logs
- Goals & Action Plans → Tracking Progress
- Work samples
- Will come home with progress reports & report cards
- TN State Standards & Open Court books: direct connection between Reading, Language Arts, & Writing
- Single assignments may count as a grade in multiple subjects. The grade will be marked with: R, LA, M, Sci, and/or SS.
- Statewide test in April 2020
Independent Reading & AR
- The best way to be a better reader is to read! My expectation is that students read for 20 minutes each evening. They write about & discuss what they read here at school.
- Personal AR goals will be set throughout the year. There are many rewards put in place for 5th graders- check out the bulletin board in the hall. We update our charts every Tuesday. Lunch Bunch is my weekly motivator!
Spelling & Vocabulary
- Words for the following week will be given out after the test each Friday.
- There will be spelling/vocab practice due each Wednesday morning to Mrs. A. Cursive will be required until your child meets Mrs. A’s cursive standards (I can read it & they can write it without freaking out).
- Tennessee History from the earliest native people to the present
- American History from the late 1800s until the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s
- No TNReady test this year
They still need you!!!
- Tell your child you love them every day.
- Talk to them about school & their friends.
- Let them learn from consequences- good & not so good.
- They need us to work together, so please contact us anytime!
Important Note: For the safety of each child, students may change modes of transportation only with written permission from the parent. Please make all transportation arrangements before school unless there is an emergency situation. In the event of an emergency, call the front office to change transportation. Sending an email or text to your child’s teacher is not an acceptable method for communicating transportation changes.
- Parent or guardian must bring it to the office in the original bottle with child's name. Parent must fill out medical information with Nurse Angel.
- Allergies- peanut and tree nut
- Complete form and send back as soon as possible.
- Some field trips have chaperones and some don’t.
- Ocoee Middle School
- Sandhill Cranes and Cherokee Removal Park
- Christmas and Valentines
- Birthday parties at 2:00
- Please contact Mrs. Trish Akins, our cafeteria manager, to order items for your child’s party.
- Please remember we have students with food allergies.
- Self-Confidence and Enthusiasm are essential
- Set High Expectations for Your Child
- Math Packet: Students have one week to complete three assignments. Packets focus on fluency skills.
- Ready Math
- Pacing is quick and we must review.
- Tests are announced on the newsletter. Practice tests are given.
- TNReady: Part 1 - no calculator. Parts 2 and 3- a calculator is allowed. All parts are timed.
- Count Money/ Measure/ Real world situations
- Space & Eclipse
- Motion, energy
- Force, motion
- STEAM Lab activities
- Science and Math are integrated
Bullying & Social Media
- Bullying & harassment through texting, Facebook, Twitter, e-mail, gaming, etc. even when done at home may become a school issue. Become their friend/follower and review text messages often. ***Check their settings!***
- Students are only allowed to keep phones & devices in their backpacks. We will not use them in class.